I like to challenge myself each month on weird stuff. This month I’ve challenged myself to produce a video each day that is short yet informative, educational, and actionable.
Here’s Day 7
Do you really need a web developer to build a site?
Instead of an answer, let me ask you a few other questions.
- Do you really need to use a Plumber to install a water heater?
- Do you really need to use an Electrician to wire up a new Hot Tub?
- Do you really need a Doctor to install a new heart valve or pacemaker?
Ok, that last one was pretty obvious. But as to the first two, I guess it would depend on your mechanical aptitude. As for me, I can sweat copper pipes with the best of them and wiring is pretty easy stuff. I grew up doing that kind of stuff. Your mileage may vary.
- Do you need to use a Realtor when selling your house?
Oh, wait! Did that one hit a nerve? If you are a real estate professional, I’ll bet it did.
The correct answer might be, “While you could do it yourself, hiring a professional will help you avoid many pitfalls, sell your home faster and for more, and protect you from certain legal issues that you may run into after the sale.” Am I right?
Today, I saw a Facebook question looking for help in finding a Web Developer.
Many people chimed in and hey, that’s great! Richard was quick to suggest me (I thanked him).
But there was one response that struck a nerve (at least with me).
As easy as WordPress* is…
It’s incredibly hard to create a properly built, good looking site without some basic developer knowledge.
In today’s mobile first world you absolutely need to know a good deal of basic html, CSS, CSS3, and why not… PHP. Unfortunately, if you don’t your website is going to look just like all the template websites out there.
* There’s an grassroots effort underway to get WordPress back to it’s original purpose – to democratize publishing. Yes, as a Web Developer that might take $ out of my pocket but I’m all for it!
Is there a topic you’d like to see me cover?
Check out the entire series!
Latest posts by Mike Mueller (see all)
- 2MT: How many themes are ok to have in your WordPress Install? - January 16, 2018
- What type of content can you put up on your site? - January 10, 2018
- Who Are Your Next Customers? - December 20, 2017