There’s a new plugin version for the ever popular NextGEN Gallery coming out.
It’s version 2.0.0 and it looks like it will do some amazing things! I’m running it here on AreWeConnected. Here’s a slideshow I just created.
But before you download it, before you update it… What should you do first? That’s right. Everyone say it with me “Always backup your site first!”
OK, now if everything is backed up you can update or install it.
Now go check your site. Did anything break? It did? Not a big surprise. There are quite a few people who are having issues right now.
Erick Danzer, the Founder of Photocrati (they make the plugin) says,
DO NOT UNINSTALL NextGEN if you are having issues with 2.0
I just wanted to add a high priority note/reminder to NOT uninstall NextGEN Gallery 2.0 if you are having problems. If you formally uninstall the plugin, it deletes all data, including your galleries.
If you are having issues with 2.0 and want to roll back to the previous version (1.9.13), here are some step by step instructions for doing so safely:
Here’s the Good News.
You are safe because you backed everything up. Photocrati is all over this. They are on top of it and working on fixing the issues as fast as they can. As a matter of fact within minutes of that Fatal Error post above, Erick responded
If you do want to send a message to them for help – here’s what you need to provide them.
– WordPress up to date?
– NextGEN up to date?
– What version of NextGEN Gallery did you upgrade from? (i.e. I had 1.9.8, then upgraded to 1.9.12)
(please confirm the following, with your server host tech) :
– MySQL up to date (at least 5.2.4)?
– PHP up to date (at least 5.0)?
– The mod_rewrite Apache module activated?
– PHP Safe Mode OFF?
Additional information that will help us find a solution:
– Who are you hosted with?
– What theme are you running?
– Which plugins do you have installed and activated?
– Does this error still occur if you switch your theme to the WP default, and deactivate all plugins except NextGEN Gallery? (*be sure to clear your browser cache and reload your site after deactivating)
* If you need help with this, I am for hire. If you want to setup an automatic backup system like I have, I can do that for you too.
they just released version 2.0.11 – here’s what they fixed.
V2.0.11 – 08.19.2013
- NEW: Added “run_ngg_resource_manager” hook to by-pass our resource manager
- Changed: Removed “Reset & Uninstall” tab, for now
- Fixed: Compatibility with W3 Total Cache. Please flush cache after updating.
- Fixed: Conflicts with Photocrati Theme Galleries
- Fixed: Blank Attach to Post interface window
- Fixed: Fixed ability to change Lightbox Effect settings
- Fixed: Implemented techniques to ensure WP_Query variables aren’t overwritten
- Fixed: Enqueuing AJAX JS libraries twice in wp-admin
- Fixed: Encoding issues
- Fixed: PHP warnings caused by accessing unserialized data as array
- Fixed: Fixed installer issues
V2.0.7 – 08.09.2013
NEW: New resource manager that fixes many plugin and theme incompatibilities
NEW: Styles (custom stylesheets) should reside in wp-content/ngg_styles
NEW: Added option to “Other Options -> Misc” to control maximum images returned
Secured: Removed default connector for jQuery FileTree library
Changed: Updated the simplehtmldom library to version 1.5
Changed: jQuery is now enqueued at the beginning of every request
Fixed: Incompatibilities with BuddyPress
Fixed: Incompatibilities with Events+, bbPress, Custom Permalinks, and many other plugins
Fixed: Incompcatibilities with Member Access, AMember, Magic Fields, and More Fields
Fixed: Incompatibilities with Elegant Themes, Oxygen, Responsive, and many other themes
Fixed: Ensure that gallery images don’t have a border by default
Fixed: Conflict between imagebrowser and album urls
Fixed: Reverted default gallerypath to wp-content/gallery/
Fixed: Upgrade-safe way of overriding Styles
Fixed: Generation of AJAX url is now based on slug
Fixed: Restore nggShowGallery and nggShowSlideshow as wrappers to new API
Fixed: Always use domain as specified by WordPress Site URL
Fixed: Use WordPress Home URL over Site URL when appropriate
Fixed: Numerous pagination issues
Fixed: Adjusted our forms to comply with WordPress Firewalls
Fixed: Correct use of select2 DOM selector for maximum compatibility
Fixed: Path and URL calculations for Windows and UNIX environments
Fixed: Ensure that pluggable.php is loaded at the start of every request
Fixed: Fancybox: adjust CSS for further box-sizing protection from themes
Fixed: Use PHP 5.2.1 compatible named pattern matching syntax
Fixed: Remove usage of DIR constant not supported by PHP 5.2.x
Fixed: Removed dependency on mb_string PHP module
Fixed: Allow “No Lightbox” as an option for Lightbox Effects
Fixed: Warning: “Invalid CRT parameters detected” for Windows environments
He's an avid hockey fan, rides a mountain bike, sometimes rides a road bike, has a few motorcycles (he had a really fast one, bought a cool orange one, rode a really slow one, and wants a really small one). If that isn't enough, he makes cheese and sourdough bread, loves strong beer and good red wine, and poorly plays the Mandolin.