By AWC I mean AreWeConnected.com and by AMP’d I mean Accelerated Mobile Pages.
Yeah, it’s already mobile responsive but this is different. It’s a push from Google. Again.
Here’s a video
Not to get too technical but here’s what they are looking for…
The following optimizations combined are the reason AMP pages are so fast they appear to load instantly:
- Allow only asynchronous scripts
- Size all resources statically
- Don’t let extension mechanisms block rendering
- All CSS must be inline and size-bound
- Font triggering must be efficient
- Minimize style recalculations
- Only run GPU-accelerated animations
- Prioritize resource loading
- Load pages in an instant
- Help make AMP faster
Ok, so that was waaaaaaay too technical. Sorry about that.
It’s a cut and paste from their site https://www.ampproject.org/
The thought is (and this isn’t only Google) that more and more that content needs to be optimized for mobile. When Google announced they were dropping non mobile sites off the SERPS it started a small panic. This would be Phase 2.
What they are saying is that it’s just not enough to be mobile friendly, now they want to kick it up a notch. Said Google. “It’s as simple as that. Can me make the web great again?”
Remember: The one constant in technology is that everything changes. Get used to it, it really does.