Facebook announced a new gizmo that recognizes the faces of those friends you upload pictures of. I’ve been playing with it for a while and generally like it. There’s a media flack going on right now urging people to OPT out.
My “However” just took another turn. The first was FriendMatrix.
You are going to start see plenty of these styled apps. Let it connect with your Facebook and you are letting it tag and post any and all of your friends. That I’m not happy with. Ugg! Kind of reminds me of my “friend” Shelin (she was my first Photo Tag Spammer) See: https://areweconnected.com/facebook/get-ready-for-facebook-photo-spam/
Still don’t see an issue? Here’s what happens when you “Connect with Facebook”.
Friend Matrix will ask for extended and special permissions only if it is necessary for the application. The permissions must be accepted in order to use the application because they are required in the analysis process, which enables the application to automatically generate results. Friend Matrix may request the following permissions:
- – User Photos: Provides access to the photos you have uploaded.
- – User Photo and Video Tags: Provides access to photos and videos you have been tagged in.
- – User Likes: Provides access to the list of pages you have liked.
- – User Activities: Provides access to your list of activities.
- – User Interests: Provides access to your list of interests.
- – User Birthday: Provides access to your birth date.
- – User Videos: Provides access to the videos you have uploaded.
- – User Education History: Provides access to your education history.
- – User Location: Provides access to your current city.
- – User Hometown: Provides access to your hometown.
- – User Work History: Provides access to your work history.
- – User Email: Provides access to your email address.
- – Read Stream: Provides access to the posts in your News Feed.
- – Publish Stream: Enables the application to post content to your stream.
Can I opt out of FriendMatrix? Not apparently. But I have asked them if it’s possible and will let you know.
UPDATE: I did a search in the Apps Library and found their App http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=148818305184742
You’ll see on the left side of their wall “Block App”. Click on the picture to the right for a better look.