Comments have been on the decline for a while. People still read the stuff, people still visit, but they just don’t comment like they used to. Instead, they’ll share it on Facebook or Twitter or even Google Plus (see those little icons up above?)
Yet Comments are still fabulous. Comments make me giddy as a school girl. Comments are conversation. They are the start of a possible relationship.
I see three types of comments that happen here.
1. The real ones, from real people, taking the time to discus real things.
2. The sort of real ones, from real people but just adding a small generic sentence or two. If you look at the their name it’s a link to their website. That’s what they really left a comment for – they are trying to get people to go back to their site. Inbound links back to their site, follow vs nofollow, and other items are all an SEO tactic to build their site.
3. The total spammers. They have links back to their site in their comments as well.
It’s easy to see the difference between the three. I see them all, you don’t. I run a comment management system (Thank you Disqus) that eliminates the #3. It does allow the #2 but I will sometimes edit or delete them.
I’d love you to comment on this blog post, I’d love you to share it via the icons, and I’d love to send traffic back to your site as a way of thanking you for taking the time to do so. Commenting is a great way to drive traffic back to your site but you have to do it write (pun intended).
Rand is one of the smartest SEO people I know. Here’s a great video he did on using commenting as a SEO tactic. Plain english, simple instructions. Take 5 and watch this.
Next step up from a comment would be a guest post. Want to write a post or two or ten? Read the Guest Post Guidelines.
Latest posts by Mike Mueller (see all)
- 28 Days of Video: Day 21 – Hire a Tech Dude! - February 21, 2017
- 28 Days of Video: Day 20 – Why can’t I leave a link in my Instagram Post? - February 20, 2017
- 28 Days of Video: Day 16 – What to do about Facebook Identity Theft - February 16, 2017